Fish Caves (Lead Mine) Anchors

For years now the anchors in Fish Caves have been concerning people, some being very wobbly! 

As we needed to place the Radon monitors in the mine I decided to have a go at removing and replacing some of the worst looking anchors. Armed with a Hydrajaw anchor testing unit (with thanks from Pete Knight), and a selection of anchors donated following a practice session at Oaklands last year I set about the task. 

2 anchors were removed (see video). Both looked terrible, in that both could be pulled out partially by hand. I expected them to come out easily, but that didn’t prove to be the case! The worst looking anchor needed a consistent pull at around 4kN to extract, at one point peaking at 11kN! The second peaked at 20kN at which point I stopped and had to drill into the resin around the anchors to remove it (which then required around 4-6kN to extract!) 

Several other anchors wobble a little, however following the efforts to remove these 2 I left others in situ (worth noting that non of the slightly moving anchors are at pitch heads). 

I also installed an additional anchor at the start of the traverse to the last pitch. 

A new rigging topo (based on an original drawn up by Mat W. with the help of Jim B. has also been drawn up. 

Fish Caves (Lead Mine)

Leave a Reply